If you suffer from vision impairment, many parts of everyday life can be challenging, leading to frustration, reduced independence and a lower quality of life. While low vision is not the same as blindness, because some functional sight remains, many typical activities can become difficult. Reading, driving, using a computer, watching TV, and cooking are all examples of tasks that are severely affected by vision impairment.
If you or a loved one has low vision, there’s no need to simply accept the challenges and suffer in silence. Although low vision isn’t helped by regular eyeglasses or medical treatment, Dr Errol Rummel is our recommended low vision optometrist in Jenkintown, PA, can help maximize remaining eyesight – thereby maximizing quality of life. To make the most of your vision, book a low vision consultation at Holistic Vision. A no-charge courtesy call consultation can be scheduled with Dr Rummel to see if these services would be helpful to you.
Causes of Low Vision
Low vision can result from a variety of causes, many of which are age-related. The most common ocular diseases that lead to vision impairment are:
- Macular Degeneration
- Diabetic Retinopathy
- Retinitis Pigmentosa
- Hemianopsia due to stroke
At your consultation for low vision in Jenkintown, PA, our eye doctor will evaluate your eyes with a comprehensive eye exam to diagnose and monitor any ocular health problems. No matter the cause of your reduced eyesight, we will work to help enhance the quality of your vision. We advocate and practice proactive, integrative eye care. Based on the results of your consultation, our eye care professionals will match you with the most suitable low vision devices and custom-designed strategies.
Low Vision Services
A variety of devices, such as telescopes for seeing distance and telemicroscopic eyeglasses for near vision, are available. We will recommend and customize the most helpful low vision aids for your lifestyle, ocular condition and visual needs. Our eye care experts take the time to fit every patient with them properly so they feel comfortable, as well as provide training to get the most out of each new low vision device.
Our Jenkintown, PA, Low Vision Aids Include:
- Specialized Glasses – Readers, Telescopes, Prisms and more; a range of low vision glasses are available for specific activities, such as using a computer, driving, seeing faces, or even walking safely
- Computer Software: we’ll introduce you to the latest computerized technologies to help you work and stay socially connected
Tips for Coping with Low Vision
We recommend a number of practical tips and aids to help you cope and live safely with vision impairment:
- Digital readers and large-print books: enlarged fonts can enable you to read; digital readers can be a great option, because you can enlarge the font as necessary.
- Audio books: recordings can be the perfect alternative to printed text, allowing you to continue enjoying the books you love.
- Lighting: new lighting can be a life-changer. Try various kinds of lights and strengths to determine what’s best for your personal condition, at different times of day.
- Lens tints: specially tinted lenses may assist with vision conditions that cause hypersensitivity to light, such as cataracts and retinitis pigmentosa.
- High-contrast accessories: place a contrasting stripe on the edge of stairs in order to prevent falls and accidents. (Use black stripes on light steps, and light stripes on dark colors.)
If you or a loved one has low vision in Jenkintown, PA, contact our eye doctor for assistance. Our team at Holistic Vision is knowledgeable and experienced in helping people with vision impairment maintain and regain independence. We also practice the latest medical approaches to manage eye diseases for the sake of preventing further vision loss.